There are two ways to add contact/property information to your Tank Track database. If you want to automatically import a large number of existing contacts into your Tank Track database, you can do so with a .csv file (instructions below). If you simply want to add a new customer/property in the course of daily events, you can do that easily within the Tank Track program.
ADD A SINGLE CONTACT and/or PROPERTY
- Click or tap the CONTACTS tab and then select the green NEW CONTACT button.
- For a new contact (meaning someone not previously entered into Tank Track), select ADD NEW NAME and enter the name, address, phone numbers, email address, etc. If you have information about a new property for this contact, enter the information on the right. Once you have completed as many fields on both sides of the page as possible, click or tap SAVE CHANGES.
- To add a new property to an existing contact, enter the first or last name into the SEARCH CONTACTS search box and select the full name from the options provided. Then add all the new property details on the right side of the page and select SAVE CHANGES.
HOW TO IMPORT FROM AN EXISTING DATABASE
You can easily import your list of contacts into Tank Track from another program (such as Excel or QuickBooks) as a .csv file.
1. Export Current List in .csv file format.
If you don't know what a .csv file is, don't worry! It is simply a particular file format that most programs use to transfer data between programs.
First, open your file in your existing program. Then, export the file to a .csv format. (Directions for this step will vary based on what program you are working in. You may need to seek help on this point within the program you’re exporting from.)
[In Excel: Click “File,” and select “Export.” Choose “Change File Type” and select “CSV” or “.csv,” also called “comma separated values.” Follow the prompts to save your document in this format.]
2. Import File Into Tank Track
After saving your database as a .csv file on your computer, sign into your Tank Track account and click on the main header for “Contacts.” Click the link “Import Contacts” (upper right). Follow the directions to upload your file.
3. Match Fields
Once your file has uploaded, you can complete the import process by matching each field in Tank Track with a field in your document.
After the entire process is complete, click on the Contacts header to see your contact list.
NOTE: If you are matching fields and notice that you have a field that is not a good match with any field listed on the Tank Track side, you can cancel the import process and add a custom field in the Settings section under "Property Information." After adding that field and saving, re-import your file and re-match the fields, including the newly added field.