Welcome to Tank Track! To set up your Tank Track account for the first time, please follow the instructions below.
Before you get started: If you are planning on importing your contact list from another program, make sure your contact list is ready to go. Click here to check out our article on preparing your Excel spreadsheet (or a file from another program).
1. Customize Settings
Now that you have subscribed to Tank Track, it is time to customize your settings for your specific needs. Click or tap the "Settings" link in the upper right corner of your Tank Track screen to review and complete the following sections:
- Account Info: Several of these fields were completed during signup. Check for accuracy and add any missing information. Your physical address should be the location from which your trucks start and end each day. Providing your complete physical address will be required for the mapping and routing features.
- Subscription: This page should already reflect the subscription plan you chose at signup. As your company grows and you add one or more trucks, this is the page where you can change your subscription plan as the number of trucks in your company grows. When changing subscription levels, monthly fees are automatically prorated up or down as needed.
- Payment: This page provides the last few numbers of the credit card you entered at signup. It is also the place to update or change your payment information as needed.
- Users: Here you can add everyone in your company who will either use Tank Track personally or who need to be added to the schedule as a driver/technician. You may add as many users as you wish and you can give them as much access to various sections of the program based on need to know and trust level. Be sure to check the technician checkbox for drivers and the SEND ROUTES BY EMAIL checkbox for those drivers authorized to receive their appointment list by email. Note: you only need to enter an email address if the user will have access to the program or if authorized to receive address lists as a driver. A password is needed only if the user is being granted login privileges to access the software.
- Trucks: Here you can add your trucks as you want them to appear in the schedule. Simply choose a name for each truck, enter the tank capacity, choose a color (which will color code your schedule) and an icon. You can also add a default technician, who will then be the driver of that truck every work day. However, opening the CREATE WEEKLY SCHEDULE dropdown menu will allow you to assign a default driver for each day of the week.
- Frequent Destinations: Here you can add the name and address for each location where you typically deposit waste. You can also add other frequent destinations as needed. This section is NOT intended for customer locations. Be sure to select the WASTE RECEIVING DESTINATION button so that your waste sites will be available to add to the schedule. Note: All waste receiving destinations will appear in the Pumping Reports, which will provide data summarizing how many gallons you dumped at each location. As you enter each address, click VALIDATE to confirm the accuracy of the address and to add zip+4 and county data points.
- Products and Services: This section enables you to enter every product and service you offer along with default prices for each. We recommend using language that will be meaningful to you and understandable to your customers as these descriptions will appear on your invoices and receipts. If the service involves pumping any tank of any kind, check off the "PUMP JOB?" checkbox. This will enable tank Track to predict when your truck will need to be emptied as you plan your daily routes. The third column is reserved for Job Codes. The job codes you enter here will appear on each appointment on the day and weekly schedules so you can tell at a glance what each job entails without having to open each individual invoice. Job codes are your friends. Please use them! To edit or delete any product or service, bring your mouse or finger to the right of any line and an EDIT and DELETE option will appear. Be sure to SAVE CHANGES at the bottom of the page when you are done! There is no practical limit to how many products and services you may enter.
- Invoice Options: Section 1: Make sure your company information is exactly the way you want customers to see it on your invoices. Section 2: The printed invoice provides for two customizable text fields so you can enter payment info and a promotional message if you wish. Section 3: You can choose to include or exclude either of these two fields. In some parts of the country this info is required by regulation to be provided to customers. The choice is yours. Section 4: Enter your preferred invoice number for your first Tank Track invoice. Note: You can add a higher number than 1000 but you can never enter a lower number than the current number shown. Once you start using tank Track, you should not make further changes to this number.
- Email Options: Section 1: If you want to activate the powerful email options in Tank Track, begin by reviewing and agreeing to abide by the EMAIL GUIDELINES and click or tap ACCEPT EMAIL TERMS. Section 2: Here is where you customize the emailed invoices and receipts. You can also select the payment terms and methods that you have chosen in your business. Under Payment Instructions, tell your customers how to pay you, where to send their checks, and what number to call to pay by credit card. Section 3: Click the first checkbox to activate. Then select how many service due notices you wish to send by email and their timing (how many days before each service due date). You can send up to three emails during the 30 days before each due date. Many of your customers will appreciate your paperless approach and they can simply tap your number on their phone s and call to make an appointment. Section 4: Activate this section to add the ability to send daily route lists to your drivers.
- Property Details: This section allows you to add and label custom fields to your Tank Track software. You can add just a checkbox for yes/no issues or you can add a small or large textbox. Every custom field you add will appear of each property page and work order. While there is no limit to how many custom fields you can add, adding too many will cause your work order to spill over into two or even more pages. We suggest using the standard property notes, job notes, contact notes, and directions fields for most things and adding additional custom fields judiciously.
2. Import your contacts and property details.
You can easily import your list of contacts into Tank Track from another program (such as Excel or QuickBooks or Access) as a .csv file.
First, open your file in your existing program. Then, export the file in a .csv format. (Directions for this step will vary based on what program you are using. You may need to seek help on this point within the program you’re exporting from.)
[In Excel: Click “Save as,” and change the file name if you wish. For the “Save as type” at the bottom of the Save as box, select “CSV” or “.csv,” also called “comma separated values.” Follow the prompts to save your document in this format.]
After saving your database as a .csv file on your computer, sign into your Tank Track account and click on the main header for “Contacts.” Click the link “Import Contacts” (upper right). Follow the directions to upload your file.
Almost without exception, the .csv file produced from other programs will have to be reviewed and edited to optimize the import process in Tank Track.
Once your file has uploaded, you can complete the import process by matching each field in Tank Track with a field in your document.
After the entire process is complete, click on the Contacts header to see your contact list.
Note: If you do not have a contact list already in a spreadsheet of some kind (for instance, if you have only paper records), you will have to input your contacts one at a time. You can either do this directly into Tank Track, or you can type them into an Excel spreadsheet first and then follow the import directions above.
3. Go for it!
Once you have completed the two steps listed above, you are ready to go! Don't forget to purchase paper to use for your printed job forms. The pages will print nicely on regular 8.5-x11- inch paper. You can use regular printer paper or you can choose to purchase blank carbonless paper (you can use it in the same way as carbon paper, but it can go through a laser printer).
Enjoy, and let us know how it goes!